coffee & memories

my coffee intake has increased again lately. i don't know if it has something to do with the weather -- it has become noticeably colder again these past few days, hasn't it? -- or the fact that i like to sip something hot every now and then. or maybe it's because i like the simple act of pouring myself a cup of something sweet and sticky, and absently stirring the mixture while i gather my thoughts.


i remember having my first serious cup of coffee while i was in college: i was gearing up for a whole night of heavy-duty stint at the drawing table because our plate was due the next day. i was all psyched up to start but for one reason or another i just couldn't concentrate on my assignment.

after my second attempt went nowhere, i decided to stop and made myself a cup of coffee. while i was sipping from my mug and looking down at my drawing pad, i remember feeling grown up all of sudden, as though in that one random moment things came into clearer focus: it was time to get serious. and strangely enough, everything flowed smoothly after that.


i don't know if it was the coffee or if it was just the act of looking at things from a certain angle, but the thing is i've had similar moments of epiphany since then. not always in the same situation of course, but there are times that when i find myself at a standstill, i generally take a few steps backwards (usually while sipping coffee), think things over, and eventually come up with a few conclusions that allow me to choose a course and move forward.

i don't know why imbibing coffee has this effect on me. i don't think it's due to caffeine though. i think it's the thoughts and the memories that i have come to associate with drinking coffee.

Copyright © 2008 - coffee & donuts - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template